Monday, December 01, 2008

Sheepness

The Savior was the greatest Example of consideration any of us could ever have. One of my favorite hymns has this line: "The very foes that slay thee Have access to thy grace" (Hymns, no. 197). John's Gospel quotes Jesus as saying, "I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: And I lay down my life for my sheep" (John 10:14-15). Jesus had such a connection with people that He described Himself as the Shepherd of all of them. None was outside of His sphere of love. Some days I feel down, insignificant, and tired, but the things that help me feel better, I eventually realize, are those things the Savior was best at: service and charity. Service. Smiling in the face of adversity. That's following the Savior and being considerate. That's being protected, led, and guided by the Good Shepherd. That's optimism and faith. My philosophy is, if your socks are dirty because you forgot to do your laundry yet again, be grateful you have shoes, so no one can tell this is the third time you've worn this pair of socks since you've washed them.

3 comments:

annilyns said...

I certainly have those days. I know I'm kind of acting like a grump for no apparent reason. I think you're exactly right comparing that to pride. As President Benson said, "Pride is the universal sin." It's something that no one but Christ can seem to truly overcome. But it is comforting to know that as we try to be more like Christ, he will help to humble us. I think service is a great way to get rid of that feeling because when we serve, we are being humble and putting the needs of others before our selfish desires.

Michelle said...

Well, now I'll be inspecting your socks whenever I see you! :) JK
I love that line from that hymn, too. It almost always brings tears to the surface when I think about our Savior's love in that way.
He is infinitely wonderful, and I love Him so much!
Thanks for pointing out those two ways to feel better and follow Him.

llamitanan said...

Wow! Good thoughts, Dallin! Not the point you are making but I wish you were here so I could do your laundry for you. I guess it is the point because I like serving you.