Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Love of a Black Hole

Black holes are really interesting. In my astronomy class, I learned about how they're really strong, keeping even light within its grasp--but only if you get too close. Now, I could make a spiritual application to this, and say that this means we should stay as far away from the edge as possible, and look for ways to be obedient, but I think there's something else there, too, that can be applied. A black hole is so strong, that it creates a bottomless pit out of the spacetime continuum. Essentially, it puts a whole in the fabric of space. Einstein's special theory of relativity describes this in great detail, but essentially, I see it as a scientific allegory of celestial love. True love. The love that God has for us, the love that parents have for their children, and even the love between spouses. Once a certain threshold has been passed, which is represented in black holes by the event horizon, the Holy Spirit of Promise seals, or calling and election are made sure, then love becomes infinite. Space and time are no longer barriers to it. Just imagine life without time. Just imagine life without space, or distance. Pretty tricky, right? Because that's infinite. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" John 15:13. That is the love Jesus Christ has. Maybe the analogy isn't perfect, but I am constantly amazed at how much the scientific community, within astronomy at least, accepts the idea of infinity. Science and religion really do meet, which can be a hard fact for some to escape.

3 comments:

llamitanan said...

Wow! Good insight! I look forward to having my calling and election made sure. Thanks for sharing, Dallin!

Mandy said...

For me, this post is reminiscent of Elder Maxwell's talks and writings. I'll have to read over this one a few more times, or maybe you can explain it to me in person when I see you this week :)

Michelle said...

Wow. I had to read this several times, and then suddenly I realized it describes my claim on Benjamin. Or at least, the claim I hope to have. Because of the sealing ordinances and the Atonement of Christ, there can be a point where I am inseparable from my beloved husband and sons. Beautiful illustration of that most precious doctrine! Thank you so much for writing your thoughts about that.