Thursday, December 11, 2008

Accountability


As I read in Ether recently, in the Book of Mormon, I noticed something I hadn't before. After Ether builds the barges that are "tight like unto a dish," he does something very responsible: "And it came to pass that the brother of Jared cried unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, I have performed the work which thou hast commanded me, and I have made the barges according as thou hast directed me" Ether 2:18. Now that is accountability. It made me wonder, do I account for the things I do that the Lord has commanded me to do? As I think about the scriptures, I realize that this is a principle many understand. Christ Himself, in His Intercessory prayer, reports back to the Father, "I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do" (John 17:4). It seems to indicate a reliance on the Father, that even though the assignment is accomplished, no time is wasted; it's right back to the Father for the next instructions. I realize that I should be "anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness" (see D&C 58:26-7), but since all good comes from God, whenever I do good, I should report that to the Lord, and then I'll be ready for more instructions, whenever they come.

3 comments:

llamitanan said...

It seems like so many of my prayers are asking for what I need and what my family needs. This post helps me realize that I should account for how I am living too. Gratitude is good to include in prayers also.

Mandy said...

To even be able to follow through all of the steps of asking the Lord's will, learning His will and then doing His will is quite an accomplishment. Your thoughts on then presenting one's accountability before the Lord are very eye-opening for me. How important it truly is for us to get past the step of asking the Lord what His will is for us, and to actually go and do and then account for our actions. Thank you for this message--

Michelle said...

Thank you for reminding me to report my VTing! (ahem!)
I often forget about this aspect of obedience. It is surely important, though, thinking on tithing settlement and words in holy places.