Friday, October 31, 2008

Ask, and it shall be given you

In my study of the Bible, and over my lifetime of going to church, I have heard many times the promise Christ makes , usually assumed to be about prayer: "And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened" (Luke 11:9-10). I think it's about prayer, too, because who else are we going to ask for something we need? If I want something, I'm a lot smarter to ask for it from someone who has it than to ask someone I know doesn't have it. God has all, and has promised all, and so if He and His Son make this promise, They can back it up. After reading this verse yet again, I decided to try it, pure and simple. Of course, I'm always praying for these, requesting safety, etc., but this time, I decided to just outright ask for what I needed. It was something good, and something I knew He could give me. And guess what? So far I've gotten it. After Joseph Smith got his answer, which came in a way he hadn't realized it would, he still had a lot of responsibility, as we all do when we ask for something from God, and the receive it. But the testimony gained from receiving something I didn't have before, just by asking for it, helps with the added responsibility.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I have been struggling with this doctrine lately. It surprised me to suddenly realize about a month ago that I don't know why we pray for things!
Heavenly Father already knows what we need, and He has already decided whether or not we should have it. Why do we ask Him for things, even when we don't know that it is His will for us to have them?
A couple of good reasons I have learned, although I don't feel like I'm done learning about this:
- sometimes we pray simply to obey the commandment to pray
- prayer helps us feel close to our Father during this time on earth that we're away from Him
- sometimes He reserves blessings for us waiting for us to ask for them
I would love to hear any other thoughts you have about this! It is one of my "questions of the soul" right now.