Monday, September 29, 2008

Prophet

I'd heard Jesus be called a prophet before, in the hymn, "I Know that My Redeemer Lives":
"He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King", but I'd never really thought before recently about Jesus being called a prophet. At His triumphal entry into Jerusalem, to start His final week, "the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee" (Matt. 21:11). My NT professor said that when John the Baptist died, part of what Jesus was feeling was that now He was the leader, now He was the prophet. In verse 46, the priests and the Pharisees don't seize Him at that time, because they fear the multitude, who see Him as a prophet. I don't think I'm covering all the senses of the title, but when He was on the earth, Jesus was the head of His Church, because He was the very Gospel, the very Way for us to return to live with His Father and Our Father. Jesus was the spiritual leader of the time on the earth, which, to me, today, seems like a very interesting situation, one that only occurred once in the history of the world.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing, Yeine; I have never seen things that way.

Michelle said...

Neat! I had actually just been thinking about that today. I was preparing one of our FHE from Preach My Gospel. We had defined a dispensation as when there is a prophet on the earth. Then we talked about Christ's earthly ministry and the following Great Apostasy. There was a thought lurking in my mind about that particular dispensation, and whether it were defined differently because it didn't have a "prophet" in the normal definition of the word. I love thinking of Christ as a Prophet. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about that!

llamitanan said...

Thank you for sharing your insights, Dallin. I love our Savior, Prophet, Priest and King!