Friday, September 19, 2008

Back in the USA

After four semesters in Canada, away from BYU, I'm back. It's quite the adjustment. Life was good in Canada. I was serving a mission for the Church (of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Never have I experienced such joy and sorrow and trials and blessings. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, yet, I find myself longing to go back. It's not as though I feel I have unfinished business--I knocked on thousands of doors, talked to thousands of people, had conversations about Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith and the Bible with hundreds of people, all day, everyday, for the full two years. It's just that as a missionary, I constantly had an outlet to help me feel better: service. As I gave people the chance to learn more about God, or as I physically helped them around their house, I felt useful. I felt like what I was doing was important, even if it was just pulling weeds or moving boxes. Being a missionary feels so good.
Now I'm back to civilian life: working, socializing, and studying. It can be easy to go for awhile without doing any service. But I know that when I do something for someone, I feel so much better about being home again.
Soon I will be normal again. But hopefully, a new and improved normal.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Heehee! I told you I'd be the first to notice when you posted again!
Yay! It's nice to have you back!
I am so proud of my newly-returned missionary brother. It was so great getting to spend time with you right after you came home! What impressed me the most was your deep love for the people, and for our Savior, as well. It was very apparent that this motivated your service!
I love you, Didier! Good luck with continuing the adjustment!

llamitanan said...

Hey, Dallin! I'm glad you're posting again. We loved going to your mission with you and meeting the people you grew to love. You were such a diligent, dedicated missionary that it is hard to adjust. You're fun to visit with and so awesome!

Jessica Havican said...

Dallin! I found your blog. Yep, that's right...we can be blog friends. I enjoyed the few posts that I read. You are a fun blogger. I used to be fun blogger...someday I'll get it back.

Au Revoir!